Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Crepes with Strawberry/Raspberry Mascarpone Filling



Growing up, one of my favorite breakfast dishes was something our family calls "palacinkas." Pronounced palah-chinkas, these are basically crepes, but with an awesome Croatian name :) You fill them up with anything you want. My favorite fillings were cottage cheese, peanut butter, jelly, and some cinnamon sugar. 

This past week, an online "Biggest Loser" competition I'm participating in had a challenge of creating a healthy recipe using strawberries. The obvious choice was a low-calorie strawberry shortcake or something like that, but I decided to go outside my comfort zone and try to put a new twist on one of my old favorites. And that brought me to create these crepes. 

First thing you should know is I've never worked with three of the major ingredients, raspberries, mascarpone cheese, or crepes. I had never in my life made a palacinka, that's dad's job. But last night I made an attempt it, and it turned it deliciously! 

Here's the nutrition information:
Nutrition info for 2 crepes filled with about 1/5 cup of the filling (in each):
Calories-164
Carbs- 7
Fat- 13
Protein- 4
Sugar- 3

Ingredients you'll need are:
1 package of mascarpone cheese (you'll only use half of it, about 8 tbsp)
fresh strawberries and raspberries (as many as you want)
1/4 cup flour
1 cup of original almond milk (or whatever milk you want)
2 egg whites
1 tbsp of oil
1/4 tbsp of salt
and a juicer.

To make the filling: 
In a bowl, mix together the juice from about 4 strawberries and raspberries (4 of each that is) with the mascarpone cheese.  
Fold in any extra sliced strawberries or raspberries you'd like.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes

To make the crepe batter:
Combine flour and salt, mix.
Whisk in milk, egg whites, and oil. 
Stir until well blended. M
My batter had chunks in it that looked like cottage cheese, I don't know why, nothing was spoiled, lol, but that's just how mine mixed!

In a well sprayed pan, pour just enough of the batter to make a very very thin layer. These should be like super thin pancakes. Let the batter brown on one side, flip, and let it get browned on the other side. Badabingbadaboom you have a crepe/palacinka. 

This is what mine looked like

Take those, fill them with the filling, and top with raspberries and/or strawberries and enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment