Saturday, August 20, 2011

Panko Crusted Peanut Butter Tofu Fries

First post, yay!

So back home, there was a Chinese buffet that had one of the most amazingly delicious dishes ever. Breaded, fried, sliced chicken sitting in a pool of yummy peanut butter sauce. It was the first thing I would go to there. 

I was craving Chinese food today and got to thinking, why not make my beloved peanut butter chicken, but with tofu? I think it turned out wonderfully and with way less calories and murder :p I know it seems like a lot of fat, but the fat comes from the tofu and the peanut butter, not from grease, so that's our excuse!

Nutritional Info for Tofu: (1 Serving, Serves 1)
Calories: 348 Carbs: 26 Fat: 17 Protein: 26

Ingredients you'll need for the tofu fries: 
Half of one package of extra firm tofu
1/3 cup of panko breadcrumbs
1 tbsp of peanut butter
Some extra light tasting or extra virgin olive oil spray
salt
pepper
powdered ginger

Directions:
  1. Preheat your oven to 500 degrees.
  2. Begin by slicing your tofu (already halved since you are only using half the package) into slices about as thick as an iPhone (I'm so scientific). Then slice those slices in half. Basically what you want in the end are slices of tofu the size of fish sticks.
  3. Next, I sprinkled salt and pepper on each side of the tofu fries and sprayed the oil on them.
  4. Prepare a baking sheet by topping it with a layer of tin foil greased with whatever cooking spray you feel compelled to use.
  5. Measure your panko breadcrumbs into a container of your choice, and add powdered ginger. I didn't measure, I rarely do, just add how much you think would be tasty :)
  6. Coat each tofu fry in the panko mixture.
  7. Place the fries onto the baking sheet and put it in the oven.
  8. For our peanut butter sauce, I added one tbsp of peanut butter to a microwave safe tupperware container and added water. Again, I didn't measure. You want the sauce to be the consistency of a cream of chicken soup (again with the scientificness!) when you're done. 
  9. Put that mixture into the microwave for about 20 seconds at a time until you can mix the peanut butter and water into a smooth sauce.
  10. Don't hate me, but I didn't time the tofu fries. I checked on them every few minutes. At some point, the panko crumbs will start to turn golden brown. That's when you take them out and flip them. They should look kinda like that first picture up there. 
  11. Let the tofu fries cook as long on this side as they did on the other. 
  12. When the tofu has cooked on both sides, take it out and brush your peanut butter mixture on each fry. 
  13. Back in the oven they go until you deem them ready! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment